Friday, October 9, 2015

sports

I love sports. Honestly, they're such a big part of my life. I played soccer, basketball and baseball from a young age. I dropped basketball but played soccer and baseball through high school, travelling with my varsity teams and serving as captain of the baseball team. I was captain of my intramural team throughout college in sports ranging from soccer to football, dodgeball to volleyball.

I wrote one of my Tufts application essays on sports, how they make me tick. And though I don't participate in sports so much more I still watch a lot of sports and I play fantasy football. Freshman fall I took a class on sports and culture. Three years later in my final semester at Tufts, I took a class on sports as performance.

What is it about sports?

-One of my earliest relics is a Ken Griffey Jr. shirt I got in a promotion at my first mariners game. It used to go down to my ankles but now it's a shirt.

-My first year cheering for a team was the year the Mariners won 116 games, 2001. I promise I wasn't a bandwagon jumper (see case in point below), it was just the first year I really was old enough to read the sports section.

-Mariners now have the MLB's longest playoff drought, 14 years, since 2001.

-Probably the main reason that I'm not a big fan of basketball (other than that I don't have the finesse needed to be a great shooter) is that when I was young the NBA stole the SuperSonics from Seattle.

-One of my best friends, Jacob, got me interested in Tottenham Hotspur when they were 8 games into the season and had only 2 points- two ties and six losses. "Eight games in and less points than a triangle." Since then they've sent me on an emotional roller coaster. COYS

-Seahawks have been crazy for the past few years.

-I've always enjoyed the football atmosphere on Sundays. Now that fantasy is a thing, it's only gotten better.

Some other things about me and sports:
If I could only watch one sport on TV, sitting on a desert island, it would be soccer.
If I could only watch one sport on TV, wherever else, it would be football.
If I could only watch one sport at a venue, it would be baseball.
My favorite sports to play are soccer, baseball, volleyball, then other stuff
I've run 2 half marathons including the lowest one on earth
I really want to do an ironman in my life

I don't know what it is about sports, but I really do love them.

I think a large part of it is our innate desire to win. Even if there is no logical reason, if we see two people playing a game we want to join in, thinking we can beat them. Professional sports magnifies this desire and commercializes it. I don't know how good it is, but I'm not complaining.

There's probably going to be a lot of Sport on this blog. Just letting you know.